This is the fourth and final episode of our Building a House series. If you haven’t already, be sure to listen to the first three episodes in the series. We are so grateful to put the “finishing touches” on the series with our guest host and interior designer Maggie Griffin. Maggie and her staff regularly help clients build and design primary residences and vacation homes from the ground up. She walks us through how to get started, realistic expectations, what parts of the home to invest in, and so many more of the questions you all have asked throughout the years!
What You’ll Hear on This Episode:
- How to get the process started.
- What goes on “the Google doc”?
- The timeline and order for style selections.
- A typical item that gets used as a focal piece to build around.
- Where is the best place to invest money?
- The kitchen is often the heart of the home; what’s important to consider?
- Why does Maggie recommend going to a showroom?
- Other rooms to focus on and invest in.
- What are pantry trends today?
- What are mud rooms looking like today?
- Where are some nice places to tuck in a home office or workspace?
- How to transition from the contracting phase to the installation phase.
- What does the installation process with an interior design team entail; and what’s the full turnkey option?
- How design on a primary residence differs from a vacation home.
- What are some common pitfalls seen on a project?
- Who do you call if something goes wrong within a year of construction?
- Final thoughts on what the design process and finishing touches look like.
- Is this is Maggie’s final home or will she build another from the ground up?
Mentioned in This Episode:
- Podcast, Ep. 229 Building a House Series: Getting Started
- Podcast, Ep. 230: Building a House Series: Planning & Design
- Podcast, Ep. 231: Building a House Series: Getting it Built
- Maggie Griffin Design
- Maggie Griffin at Home
- Maggie Griffin Design on Instagram
- Maggie Griffin Design on Pinterest
Please send in your questions so we can answer them on our next episode! And of course, subscribe to the podcast in Apple Podcasts so you never miss an episode. You can always check back here to see new episodes, but if you subscribe, it’ll automatically download to your phone.