We are back for the third episode of our Building a House series! If you haven’t already, be sure to listen to the first two episodes in the series. Today we welcome to the show contractor Aaron Burgess of Freedom Construction. Aaron focuses primarily on high-end, custom homes in the resort town of Lake Oconee. Also with us again is interior designer and guest host Maggie Griffin. Aaron and Maggie talk about the collaboration process, navigating permits, the importance of walkthroughs, managing expectations, and so much more!
What You’ll Hear on This Episode:
- How Aaron and Maggie first start working together on a custom home and the importance of having a good team.
- Where to look and how to hire a contractor.
- What should be the most important factor in choosing a contractor?
- How can the appearance and cleanliness of a jobsite be indicative of the quality of contracting work?
- Who typically handles permits and regulations for a build?
- What’s the next step after getting a permit for a build?
- Where are the best places to invest and/or save your dollars from a contracting perspective?
- How are delays and timing affecting projects?
- What do walkthroughs entail?
- Why the framing walkthrough is the most important walkthrough of the project.
- What are best practices for homeowners communicating and making change requests to contractors?
- How much will the plan typically change or vary from the start to finish of the project?
- What are 2 things that both Aaron and Maggie wish their clients knew before beginning a project?
Mentioned in This Episode:
- Aaron Burgess
- Freedom Construction
- Maggie Griffin Design
- Maggie Griffin at Home
- Maggie Griffin Design on Instagram
Please send in your questions so we can answer them on our next episode! And of course, subscribe to the podcast in Apple Podcasts so you never miss an episode. You can always check back here to see new episodes, but if you subscribe, it’ll automatically download to your phone.