How to Choose the Right Size Wreath

Wreaths are wonderful. Hang one on your front door and you instantly create a warm, welcoming entrance for your guests that lasts all season long. As is the case indoors with your tree, you’ll want to consider the scale of the wreath in relation to the door. Our diagrams below show how two of our most popular wreath sizes fit on a standard-size front door.

24 Inch Door Wreath

24″ Wreath

A 24-inch wreath is just the right size for a standard 36-inch wide front door. You’ll want to hang it about 14 inches from the top of the door so that it hangs right at the center.

36 Inch Door Wreath

36″ Wreath

A 36-inch wreath basically fits flush with the width of a standard size front door. If you don’t use your front door very often and you love the dramatic impact of a larger wreath, then go for it. Otherwise, size down. We generally recommend our 36-inch wreath for over sized doors.

Shop our wreaths and see more of our full Holiday Collection here

For more holiday inspiration, check out these posts:

(Visited 52,814 times, 4 visits today)

How to Decorate Team

We enjoy spending days interacting with How to Decorate readers. From answering Design Dilemmas to writing How To articles and working with guest designers, our passion is to provide informative and accurate resources to help people solve their design problems.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

1. Avatar

Sharron

November 26, 2020

Hello, I have a bi parting gate. I would like to place a wreath on each side- each side being 10ft. What size do you recommend? Thank you.

Abbey Nolte

January 22, 2021

Sharron,
      We suggest a very large wreath, at least 36”.
      Happy Decorating!

2. Avatar

Melissa Mullan

November 3, 2020

What’s the best size wreath to hang above a king size bed?

Abbey Nolte

January 22, 2021

Melissa,
      Really any size could work. Just depends on the look you’re going for.
      Happy Decorating!

3. Avatar

Charity Miller

October 25, 2020

I have 8’ tall doors that are 42” wide. What size wreath would you recommend?

Abbey Nolte

January 22, 2021

Charity,
      As long as the wreath isn’t wider than the door, you should be fine. 36” would work great.

4. Avatar

Lou Ellen Lathan

October 20, 2020

I would like to put wreaths on our front windows. (The front door is rather recessed and not as visible.) the windows have a small arch at the top. Window height is 10’2”. Width of the glass is 46”, width including casement is 52”. What size wreaths would be best?

Abbey Nolte

January 22, 2021

Lou,
      36″ wreaths are your best choice.
      Happy Decorating!

5. Avatar

cele

September 24, 2020

I have double oval glass front doors. should I use teardrop wreaths or circle? Thanks

• Caroline McDonald

Caroline McDonald

October 9, 2020

Cele,
      In terms of shape, either would work. Just make sure you measure!
      Good luck,
      Caroline

6. Avatar

Cindy Maxwell

September 3, 2020

I have a 8 foot tall and 42 inch wide mahogany door. What size wreath does this size door need?

Abbey Nolte

January 22, 2021

Cindy,
      Make sure the wreath isn’t wider than your door. 36” would work great.

7. Avatar

paula cooper

May 28, 2020

I would like to hang 2 wreaths because I have solid black front French doors. What size if two will be side by side?

Abbey Nolte

January 22, 2021

Paula,
      Just choose a size that isn’t larger than the doors, probably 2-3 inches of space on each side of the wreath to the end of the door.
      Happy Decorating

8. Avatar

Val

December 16, 2019

How big a wreath for hanging on windows? I have two front windows, each 50″ wide. Could I put a 48″ wreath on them, or will it look too big?

• Caroline McDonald

Caroline McDonald

December 17, 2019

Hi Val,
      Thanks for your question. I think it’s just a matter of preference. A 48″ wreath on a 50″ window will definitely be big but it’ll look dramatic and impactful! As long as the wreath isn’t larger than the window, I think it’s just a question of personal preference. Good luck!
      Caroline

9. Avatar

Debbie Richardson

November 25, 2019

I own a 1857 Regency Cottage. I would like to put a wreath on each of two french doors/windows which are 4 feet wide . The glass area is 42 inch wide. These flank either sides of front door. What size of wreat should I use.

Abbey Nolte

January 22, 2021

Debbie,

10. Avatar

Carole

November 19, 2019

We have double front doors 8ftx30” painted medium to dark grey with a lot of glass..wood is at the bottom of door..it is sectioned off into 4 large panes..what size wreath should I use..

Abbey Nolte

January 22, 2021

Carole,

11. Avatar

Mary Jo Richard

October 30, 2019

Mary Jo
    Hi I would like to hang 3 wreaths on my 36 in wide door attached by ribbon and letters monogram with the letters JOY attached to center of each what size wreaths should I get and what size monogram letters they are done in a vine monogram

12. Avatar

Dianejk

February 21, 2019

What size wreaths should I get for a front entry double doors?

Abbey Nolte

January 22, 2021

Diane,

13. Avatar

Jamie

November 2, 2018

I have a barn that is 60’ long. I would like to put a wreath in the middle of it, what size would be best?

• Caroline McDonald

Caroline McDonald

November 6, 2018

Jamie, I would definitely find the biggest wreath you could! Definitely at least 36″ but the bigger the better!

14. Avatar