Today we are joined by designer David Jimenez, owner and founder of David Jimenez Studio. David is a creative force who got his start working at household names like Banana Republic, Pottery Barn, and Restoration Hardware. Six years ago he left his corporate job to move to Paris and start his design business, and he now designs spaces all over the world for his clients in that enigmatic Parisian style. His style is effortless, dripping in antiques, but also livable and fresh. This fall he is publishing his first book Parisian by Design: Interiors by David Jimenez.
What You’ll Hear on This Episode:
- We gush over David’s new book Parisian by Design and discuss how it came together.
- David’s work history started by folding clothes in the Gap and eventually, it led him to Paris.
- A staple in Parisian design is using and reusing antiques and heirloom pieces.
- One of David’s tips for layering a room is setting a mood and finding joy within the room during the process.
- Gallery walls are a big component to Parisian design and one David has adopted; he likes to lay pieces out on the ground first before hanging.
- David doesn’t limit himself by watching all wood or metal tones; it’s okay to mix and match.
- Scale is very important to anchor or pull focus in a room.
- David uses room dividers and screens not only for privacy but also to add a layer of color or texture.
- Black and white stripes are very classic Parisian and curtains are a good way to add them to a space.
- David loves to use black in a room for punctuation but especially for a lampshade.
- David discusses some of his favorite French designers and how they have influenced him.
- The second half of David’s book gives an insider’s guide to navigating the Parisian streets.
- Certain colors are specific to Paris and hold cultural and historical significance.
- David’s intention with his work is to use his expertise as a catalyst to design a space that reflects you.
Mentioned in This Episode:
- Pre-Order Parisian by Design
- David Jimenez Studio on Instagram
- David Jimenez Studio
- Madeleine Castaing
- Henri Samuel
- The Schwartz House
Please send in your questions so we can answer them on our next episode! And of course, subscribe to the podcast in Apple Podcasts so you never miss an episode. You can always check back here to see new episodes, but if you subscribe, it’ll automatically download to your phone.
Subscribe in Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | Google Podcasts