This post was updated in January 2021.
When it comes to picking the perfect dining table for your space, you’ll want to focus on size and scale. More than anything, you want a dining table to be able to fit your entire family, and even extend with a leaf for larger groups! With this in mind, we thought we’d share how many chairs can fit around round, oval, and rectangular tables of standard sizes.
Round Dining Tables
Round tables have the most flexibility in terms of seating because of their round corners, especially if your round table is a pedestal table. Round tables are also ideal for a small spaces because they don’t take up as much room as a rectangular or square table.
With a standard 20″ x 20″ chair in mind, here’s what we found:
- A 42″ round table can fit four people comfortably.
- A 48″ round table can seat 4-6 people comfortably.
- A 60″ round table can seat between 6-8 people comfortably.
Oval Dining Tables
An oval table is a classic look, and it’s also very flexible in terms of seating because of it’s rounded corners. Some round tables may have a leaf that turns it into an oval shape.
- A 60″ oval dining table can seat up to 6 people comfortably.
- A 97″ oval dining table can seat up to 8 people comfortably.
- A 102″ oval dining table can seat up to 8 people comfortably.
- A 120″ oval dining table can seat up to 12 people comfortably.
Rectangular Dining Tables
A rectangular dining table is the most popular shape because it fits so nicely in so many rooms. They also tend to have a clean, classic look that will never go out of style.
- A 70″ rectangular dining table can seat between 4-8 people comfortably.
- An 84″ rectangular dining table can seat up to 8 people comfortably.
- A 90″ rectangular dining table can seat up to 8 people comfortably.
- A 108″ rectangular dining table can seat up to 10 people comfortably.
- A 130″ rectangular dining table can seat up to 10 people comfortably.
If you’re still feeling overwhelmed, this graphic is a great visual to see what size table you need!
Looking for more dining room inspiration? Read these helpful articles next:
- Podcast, Ep. 146: Dining Room Basics
- How to Pair a Head and Side Dining Chairs
- How to Pick the Right Dining Chair Size and Style
- How to Select the Perfect Dining Room Table
To stay up to date with all things How to Decorate, sign up for our monthly newsletter.
Thank you for explaining that a 90 inch table can seat up to eight people. I’ve been wondering what size dining table to get for our large family. This seems like it could be the best fit for us , so I’ll look into finding one of this size.
I hope you can help me. If I have a dining room 11′ x 12′ 10” what shape and size table would work best and give enough room for chairs and walk around?
Based on the measurements, your room is basically square. For square dining rooms, we usually recommend round dining tables. I’d suggest using our Room Planner Tool to test out what size round dining table you’ll need in your space.