This blog post about How to Mix and Match Patterned Bedding was originally published in 2014 and was updated in August 2023.
Mixing and matching bedding is one of our favorite ways to add pattern and depth to a bedroom. Plus, all of our bedding collections are designed to go together, so no matter the combination, the final result is sure to look cohesive.
To help get you started, we gathered some tried and true tips to mix and match bedding like a pro. You’ll have a beautifully layered bed in no time!
First, Start with Quality Bedding Basics
You’re going to want to start your bedding journey with a strong foundation: a statement headboard, luxuriously soft sheets and a classic bed skirt.
- A statement headboard: Without a proper headboard, a bed is really just a mattress. That’s why we opt for something dramatic like our Villandry Cane Headboard to help set the scene of a bedroom before searching for bedding or complimentary pieces.
- Luxuriously soft sheets: In the images above, we dressed the beds with sheets and shams from our Belíssima Linen Collection. These breathable, year-round sheets are garment washed for an incredibly soft hand, thick luxurious drape, and casually rumpled look. We gravitate towards linen becuase it gets softer and more enticing with every wash.
- A classic bed skirt: bed skirts are a great way to complete the textured or layered look of a bed once you’ve picked your headboard and sheet sets. We can’t get enough of scalloped and pom pom edges in our bed skirts, but there are so many other options to choose from in the Ballard Designs catalog.
Pick a Palette with Commonality
The next step in mixing and matching bedding involves pattern and color. Pick a print you love and make sure to use related colors that share the same hue. Sticking with one color will help unify the overall look.
Vary the Patterns
Another way to keep the mix pleasing to the eye is selecting a variety of patterns in different sizes, shapes and styles. Almost any print, from floral to leopard to tribal, plays well with the linear design of stripes.
There are so many different ways to mix patterns and fabrics we’d love to tell you about, but we think our friends Cate Dunning and Lathem Gordon do it best in our exclusive designer interview below.
Play with Texture
Finally, unexpected pairings are all the more beautiful by varying texture. It’s a definite way to create visual depth and reflect the mood of your room. For example, a pom pom trim lends a fun and frilly touch to a crisp, clean duvet. Texture can also come from a fabric’s thickness or stitching.
Our top trick for styling a bed is layering duvets and quilts together to achieve a dreamy mix of textures. Depending on the level of warmth you want, cover your bed with one and fold the other at the foot of your bed.
For more bedding inspiration, browse all of our new bedding collections to create a mix and match combination that suits your personality! Or find learn more in the blog posts below:
- 10 Ways to Place Your Bed in Front of a Window
- Vacation-Inspired Bedrooms
- 11 Cozy Bedroom Ideas for Fall
- How to Pick the Best Mattress
To stay up to date with all things How to Decorate, sign up for our monthly newsletter.