We’ve been waiting to get color expert Maria Killam on the podcast ever since we heard about her October color workshop here in Atlanta. She captivated us on day one of her workshop, and afterwards, we sat down to talk paint, color, undertones, and timeless interior design. This is an episode you won’t want to miss!
What You’ll Hear on This Show:
- Maria gives us a rundown of paint undertones and why they’re important
- What makes a decor choice timeless
- We talk about paint swatches, why you need big ones, and how fan decks are made
- We ask how you know which paint color to shoot for?
- We talk about why choosing a paint color should be an easy choice
- What’s the difference between a ‘clean’ versus a ‘dirty’ color?
- Why mixing your own custom color isn’t necessarily the best strategy
- We talk about choosing exterior paint colors and why you should approach them differently
- We talk about choosing colors in adjacent rooms
- Why the right wallpaper can totally transform outdated fixtures and finishes
- Why styling and decorating can solve a ton of problems before you renovate
- Why you should look to your closet when searching for color inspiration
- We ask Maria what the biggest mistake is that people make when it comes to color?
- We talk about why it’s so important to use large swatches of fixtures and finishes when you’re renovating
What types of rooms should have an accent wall? Then provide tips on how to decorate rooms that have them.
In terms of tips, Maria suggests repeating the color of the accent wall multiple times around the room, otherwise the color will feel haphazard. Make sure the accent is a strong color or contrast, otherwise it won’t feel intentional.
Before painting an accent wall, think long and hard about what the goal of that accent wall is. Do you want to test out a color that maybe you’re too afraid to try? Are you trying to create drama where your room feels bare and uninteresting? There may be more successful ways to achieve that goal without using an accent wall.
If someone had only $500 to update a room what could they do to see the biggest impact/biggest bang for the buck? -Michelle
Lighting! Maria suggests overhauling your lighting because it can make the biggest impact in your space. Lots of different types of lighting — table lamps, floor lamps, sconces, overhead lighting, and even uplighting in corners.
One of the first things Maria suggests for her e-design clients is a pair of colorful gourd lamps. You’ll always be able to use them, plus they add color and symmetry to your space.
Please send in your questions so we can answer them on our next episode! And of course, please subscribe to the podcast in iTunes so you never miss an episode. Of course, you can always check back here to see new episodes, but if you subscribe, it’ll automatically download to your phone.