Revamp Your Room on a Budget
Bored with your décor? It’s time for a quick style boost. A few small changes, such as rearranging your shelves or mantel, make a big difference. It doesn’t take a lot of time, and it doesn’t cost a lot of money. In fact, you might already have everything you need to begin.
First, take inventory of what you already own: search your buffet, closets and displays in every room for objects, art, books and other tschotskes you can switch around, reuse and make new again. Save your money for small, big-impact items you don’t have, such as a new mirror, vase or lamp shade.
Ready? Here are our tips for revamping your room on a budget
Here, the nautical theme stays the same, but the change in accessories makes it fresh again.
- Change the wall decor. Switch out a grouping of framed art with a fabulous mirror. Ours brings a bold new look thanks to the chunky rope frame.
- Replace a lamp shade. To counterbalance the framed mirror, we chose a simple round shape. The soft shade of blue matches the bird statuary.
- Repurpose items. A Rope Knot Doorstop becomes a decorative accent and echoes the look of the framed mirror.
- Make use of your containers. The shell collection is still on display, but presented in a new way. With the mirror and doorstop providing texture, we replaced the woven baskets with a simple bucket.
You have a piece of furniture you love, and it’s in just the right spot. So don’t change it—just change the way its styled.
- Change the focal point. In the first photo, we chose to lean and layer the prints for a casual presence and let our antique-inspired candlesticks steal the show. Next, we replaced the candlesticks with smaller items and featured a large print, changing the look entirely.
- Match the color. Choose items with compatible colors for a more cohesive look. The candlesticks match the gray frames, and the stack of green boxes complements the print.
- Rotate your accessories. There’s no need to buy new accessories when you can move them from room to room. The pair of candlesticks can easily find a new home on a mantel or dining room table. The pair of doves work just as well on a bookshelf.
- Add a rug. Have a rug you’re not using? Place it in front of the furniture to add color or play up certain colors in your display.
Our Terrific Tables are so useful and versatile and transition so easily from breakfast table to side table. You can reinvent the look of your room just by redecorating your table.
- Play with pattern and texture. If you want to stick with solids, mix it up with detailing or texture, such as the burlap, embroidery and ruffled hem in our examples. Or go for broke with a playful pattern. (This applies to decorative pillows and throws, too.)
- Create stacks of multiples. Stack old hardbacks, decorating magazines or coffee table books and crown it with a small tschotske. Our creamy white books complement the style and neutral coloring of the tablecloth, lamp and candlesticks.
- Go green. Whether real or faux, greenery and blooms add fresh color. Stems tucked in a vase or bowl add height to your arrangement, too.
- Invest in new frames. Nothing says you have to ditch the family photos. Just change the frames to create a new look, whether sleek or antiqued. You can also use a large mat to give a small photo big impact.
- Replace your lamp. Change the entire lamp and get entirely different results in height, color, texture and style. Match your accessories to the lamp to tie the theme together visually or contrast styles for a more eclectic aesthetic.