This week, we are happy to welcome Carmeon Hamilton, a Memphis based designer who is also behind Nubi Interiors. Carmeon talks to us about the positive effects great design can have on our mood, how her background in retail merchandising and working around construction gave her a solid foundation, and her book that teaches us to all be better plant parents. Carmeon also shares some great plant purchasing and plant care tips, and affordable ways to spruce up our home and add extra space as we continue to work remotely.
What You’ll Hear on This Episode:
- Trials and Triumphs about ways to make your space better at no cost, a drop ceiling replacement, new cabinetry, and paint jar organization.
- How Carmeon went from having the best designed dorm room in college to switching from physical therapy to design as her focus in college.The ways that working with construction and architecture gave Carmeon an understanding of what a project needed before interior design can even begin.
- Carmeon’s work in healthcare showed her how important a well designed space is for our mood, and a large part of that is having plants and beautiful greenery to care for!
- Some great tips for picking plants and keeping them alive, for even the most newbie plant parents.
- How to balance working from home and comprise your vision when you are co-workers with your husband and even children.
- A few of the great ways Carmeon utilizes double use furniture in her living room and kitchen, creating more space for guests and entertaining.
- How to use accent walls in a way that is not cheesy, and if you are going to go for it, really go for it.
- The most genius idea for more counter space in the bathroom so those toothbrushes aren’t always on display.
- Tips and tricks on picking the right container or planter for your plant for the best growth and drainage.
- How she shops for plants, and yes you can get amazing plants and flowers at your neighborhood grocery stores, and also support local businesses as well.
I discovered this podcast about a year ago and I LOVE listening to you ladies, your guests, and the decorating advice you give to your listeners. I hope you can help me!
My decorating dilemma is an open room/loft that is at the top of my staircase. As you can see from my pictures this room is a decorating challenge! This house was built 17 years ago and the builder designed this room with the intent of having an open office/tech center area. My husband and I thought this was a great idea at the time. It did work while our kids were young and I didn’t care about how it was decorated. They watched movies, played video games, and used the floor space for sleepovers with friends. It served its purpose but that time is long over! Now what?
As you can see there is a built-in desk that runs from one wall across to the adjacent wall with the two small windows above it. There are two spaces at the desk/built-in for chairs. There is limited ceiling lighting which has made this room unattractive for sitting and working (we did try.) I have always had a problem with making this room look finished because it is a weird space with no solid walls to work with. There is either a door, linen cabinet and/or windows off every wall that leads to a another room. Now that my kids are older and not using this room much (occasionally gaming), I am ready to transform it into something else. It sits right at the top of my stairs and every time I walk upstairs I see an unfinished, unattractive, unused space and it’s like a thorn in my side!!😫 The room is 11.5 in. wide x 17 in. long (not including the additional length by the linen cabinets)
Can you help?? I am open to ANY suggestions!! The room is 11.5 ft x 17 ft.
We would paint the cabinetry, walls, and wet bar area all one color, and you can continue to use it for office space if you are like the rest of us working from home! We also would find a different location for the TV, possibly mounting it on the wall. The windows are challenging, but we definitely would think about a scenario where you build in a day bed with some sconces on the wall and some good funky shades. You have a lot of options, and we look forward to hearing which direction you go!
Mentioned In This Episode:
- 11 Zero-Cost Room-Changing Ideas
- Carmeon Hamilton
- Nubi’s Guide to Plant Parenting
- Ballard Beds, Daybeds & Headboards
Please send in your questions so we can answer them on our next episode! And of course, subscribe to the podcast in iTunes so you never miss an episode. You can always check back here to see new episodes, but if you subscribe, it’ll automatically download to your phone.