Recipe: Vermont Cheddar Mac and Cheese with Pancetta
Author: Jad Driggers
- ½ pound pancetta, diced
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces white Vermont cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 16 ounces macaroni noodles
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Cook pasta according to directions on the box, strain and set aside.
- Add pancetta to sauce pan, set on low-medium heat, and cook until all the fat has rendered and the pancetta is crispy. Remove the pancetta with a slotted spoon leaving the fat in the pan.
- Add the flour to the pancetta fat and whisk to create a roux. Cook the roux on low heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk and whisk to incorporate the roux. Bring the milk/roux mix to a simmer being careful to not let it boil over. At this point the milk should be slightly thickened.
- Remove the pan from the heat and slowly incorporate the cheeses, whisking to melt. You can add the pan back to low heat if it becomes too cool but be careful to not scorch the bottom of the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add pasta, pancetta, and parsley to cheese sauce and serve. If sauce is too thick add 1-2 tablespoons of milk until you reach desired consistency.
Recipe by How to Decorate at https://www.ballarddesigns.com/howtodecorate/2014/02/recipe-vermont-cheddar-mac-and-cheese-with-pancetta/